With all the new natural toothpaste options available in the oral care aisle, it's hard to know which ones are actually serving their purpose as a teeth cleaner and breath freshener. Sulfate-free pastes are often advised for patients with allergies and sodium bicarbonate is a popular plaque remover that's been used for 150 years but what other ingredients are commonly found in natural toothpaste?
1. Bamboo Powder - abrasive, antimicrobial.
2. Calcium carbonate - polisher.
3. Carrageenan - thickener and preservative
4. Grapefruit Seed Extract - antibacterial to preserve the toothpaste and neutralize harmful bacteria.
5. Glycerin - softener
6. Peppermint Oil - antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, breath freshener.
7. Silica - abrasive and teeth whitener
8. Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate - gentle cleanser and foaming agent
9. Stevia - natural sweetener
Finally, while many natural toothpastes lead with the badge of fluoride-free, it's important to recognize the value of fluoride in cavity prevention. Especially, as dental decay remains the most chronic common disease among children and adults. If you're looking for a fluoride alternative that can aid in tooth repair, consider the mineral toothpaste Risewell. It contains a synthetic toxicity-free form of fluoride called nano-hydroxyapatite that was created by NASA for astronauts to use on gravity free space missions. Get 10% off today with my code: DRWHITE.
What toothpaste are you using for your oral care? Snap a pic and tag me @drbrigittewhite on IG stories.